Sunscreen is one of the most important cosmetics products that provides us with protection from sun damage, from sunburn to long-term protection on our unstable health such as skin clip, pigmentation and more.
Ido Mashall, Chemist, Chief Chemist at Lavender Natural Cosmetics & VP Product Development, wrote the a sunscreen guide with Guidelines to the usage of sun screen and how to manage wisely in the summer sun.
Sunscreen guide – What are the risks of exposure to the sun?
When exposed to the sun we are exposed to two types of radiation. The radiation we see and feel directly, and radiation that we do not see but as important and the main one is the UV radiation.
The UV radiation also is divided in two:
- UVB radiation which is the radiation that is known to us over the years simply because it is responsible for the sun burns known to those who are staying in the sun for more than needed. Red and burning skin and a feeling of “fire”.
- UVA radiation in compared is the radiation that has been talked about more in recent years that has been found more problematic, and perhaps even more likely to have long-lasting damages such as pigmentation, premature aging of the skin, and in some cases even skin cancer. The UVA radiation is the radiation that penetrates us through the windows, and even in shady areas there are significant quantities. The UVA radiation penetrate the skin to much deeper layers.
How do you defend against the sun?
Clothing: It is very important to shield our skin from the sun. When we go outside it is important to wear a suitable hat and clothing. However, it should be remembered that direct sunlight exposure is required to produce vitamin D. 10 minutes per day in the sun in enough to maintain normal values of vitamin D. However, about 75% of the population in the world suffer from lack of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is linked directly to a variety of diseases including cancer.
All natural mineral sunscreens
Even when working in a shady area or in an office with large windows, the exposure to the UVA radiation is still present! Therefore, is also advisable to apply sunscreen protection against the UVA rays.
Sunscreen guide – which SPF should be used?
A measurement of the UVB radiation protection is measured in SPF units which means, how long does the cream actually protects us from the sun. (the sun protection factor)
Sunscreen with SPF 15 protection blocks approximately 93% of the UVB rays.
Sunscreen with SPF50 blocks 98% of the UVB rays.
Since UVB is the measurement to sun burn and a person with light skin is usually burned in about 20 minutes from direct exposure to the sun. The SPF test is done on people who are protected by sunscreen and measure when they actually start to burn.
With sunscreen SPF15 They will start to burn 15 time later than withouth – so after about 300 minutes (about 5 hours in direct sunlight) with sunscreen and SPF50 They will start to burn after about about 16 hours in direct sunlight.
The problem is that normally the creams are absorbed into the skin and therefore the cream simply won’t be effective after about an hour-two hours and the high numbers will not always helpfull without the renewal of the sunscreen.
To my belief the actual active defence measurement of the creams to UVA radiation is even more important because the UVA rays’ damages are difficult to see and acutally only in last years the UVA protection was added to the regulations.
So, what are the Ingredients in the sunscreens that really protects us?
There are about 16 substances known to the world for sun protection. But in fact, last February the FDA published a document (1) in which it defines only two substances that are safe and effective to use, the minerals: Zinc oxide and Titanium oxide.
2 of the 16 recommended substances (PABA and Trolamine), are banned for human usage.
For the additional 12 Substances, the FDA is still looking for information to decide upon whether they are safe and effective for use!
Think about it!
For years you have been buying Sunscreen lotions or various sun protectors and suddenly the FDA publishes that they don’t really know if those sunscreens are effective and safe for use.
Why would they do that? Because these substances are broken in the molucular lever during sun exposure just before the skin get the sunburns by “swallowing” the radiation and preventing skin damage.
What is wrong with that you will probably ask?
In the process of “Swallowing” the radiation they are actually broken into Free Radicals and others chemicals that could cause massive damage to the skin instead of doing good.
Also, In the last FDA research from the years 2019\2020 regarding the 12 substances (see above) they are all found in bloodtest hours after applying them to the skin.
The natural substance -Zinc oxide and Titanium oxide, from the other side – simply return back the radiation and physically preventing its arrival into the skin and causes skin damage. They are known to be very stable substances, do not broken in the sun and has relatively large pieces that cannot penetrates the bloods stream there for much safer to use.
To what else you should pay attention before purchasing sunscreen?
- As explained in the article and the FDA Strengthens this information, we recommend only the mineral Zinc oxide and titanium oxide protection materials.
- We recommend to choose non nano minerals to be sure they are note absorbed into the skin and the blood to be sure of there safety. It is important to note that they are the only active ingredients in the formula.
- Attention, many times various companies add to the common problematic ingredients a little zinc oxide and titanium oxide to improve product positioning but for you it does not add anything. You are getting all the unknown safety issues of the regular ingredients.
- Beyond the active materials, the other ingredients are also important – avoid preservatives, including parabens, but also the other preservatives are toxins that we do not advise you to use. (in the end they also get into the blood).
- It is recommended that the product will be based on natural oils and and natural anti-oxidants which are important to help redcue the aging process.
- If you are deciding between spray and cream, we always recommend a simple cream that does not have all the chemicals that help spray the materials to you in aerosol and there is no chance to breathe all of these substances, which is not desirable in any case and the use of a cream resolves it.
Lavender Natural Cosmetics Natural Sunscreens
Lavender all Natural Cosmetics and organic produce Natural cosmetics since 2007.
All the natural sunscreen products we manufacture are licensed by the Israel Ministry of Health and stands for all requirements and test labs for SPF etc.
In 2020, we proud to anounce of two new sunsceen creams for natural protection from the sun.
Both creams contain only 100% natural origin ingredients according to ISO16128. No synthetic odors , no preservatives, no silicone and no petroleum products.
- Both creams contain only titanium oxide and zinc oxide (not nano for) safe and effective protection use.
- Both creams contain only vegetable oils and essential oils and the face sunscreen contains the red algae extract – astaxanthin, which is an amazing material that has been investigat all over the world and is effective in preventing pigmentation , aging and skin.